The Alta Berkeley story
Alta Berkeley exists to give young, entrepreneurial technology companies based in Europe and Israel local access to a US-style venture capital resource.
The firm has 22 years of successful investing in European high-technology start-ups;
- founded in 1982 in London by Bryan Wood in partnership with the US VC firm Burr, Egan, Deleage & Co (now Alta Communications & Alta Partners)
- one of a handful of firms which pioneered venture investing in Europe and a founder member of the BVCA and EVCA
- developed a strong reputation for successful long-term investment in technology companies with outstanding success in the nascent European technology industry of the 1980’s
- raised and invested six venture funds, providing superior returns for our institutional investors
- transitioned to a new generation of partners, all experienced and successful technology entrepreneurs in their own right
- since 2000 added a focus within the firm on European high-technology hot-spots including Israel and Cambridge
Today, Alta Berkeley continues to lead technology investing in Europe and Israel with a hands-on approach to developing its portfolio of exciting technology start-ups, and has one of the premier investing teams in the communications and information technology sector.